Incidental Liver Lesions
Identify. Track. Detect.
Liver cancer is difficult to detect early because symptoms typically do not appear until later stages and screening programs are limited to high-risk patients. In the general population, incidental liver lesions are common—appearing in 10–33% of imaging exams—and are a valuable opportunity for the early detection of liver cancer which causes about 30,000 deaths per year in the U.S.
EPM Liver is the only patient tracking solution available that a comprehensive liver program can use to manage both at-risk screening patients and patients with incidental liver lesions. EPM Liver uses advanced Computational Linguistics (CL) and proprietary data science models to identify liver lesions documented in a radiology report with best-in-class 94% accuracy. EPM Liver triages high-risk patients for physician review, and longitudinally tracks low-risk patients through their follow-up, significantly improving the chances of detecting liver cancer early when treatment is more effective.
people are living with liver and intrahepatic bile duct cancer in the U.S.
5-year survival rate if detected when localized
The Eon Advantage
One Comprehensive Liver Program Solution
Liver Cancer Screening
The most common form of liver cancer in adults is hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). Patients with chronic liver disease can progress to hepatic fibrosis and cirrhosis, eventually leading to primary liver cancer. In addition, type-2 diabetes as well as inherited or rare disorders such as hemochromatosis, alpha-antitrypsin deficiency, glycogen storage disease, porphyria cutanea tarda (hyper-light sensitivity of skin), metabolic syndrome, and Wilson’s disease present an additive risk of developing HCC. These patients, as well as those with cirrhosis, chronic Hepatitis B, chronic Hepatitis C, and current or prior HCC, benefit greatly from imaging screening and surveillance.
As part of the industry’s only liver patient tracking solution, EPM Liver accommodates and integrates imaging modalities for these patients who are eligible for screening:
- Adults over 16 with cirrhosis of the liver
- Adults over 16 with chronic hepatitis B viral infection
- Adults over 16 with chronic hepatitis C viral infection
The American College of Radiology (ACR) has classified liver lesion results and recommended follow-up through the LI-RADS system. EPM Liver is the only solution in the industry that follows LI-RADS:
|LI-RADS||Definition and Follow-up|
|Negative||No observations detected; surveillance in 6 months|
|LR-NC||Not categorizable due to image omission or degradation; repeat or alternative imaging in ≤ 3 months|
|1||Definitely benign; surveillance in 6 months|
|2||Probably benign; consider repeat diagnostic imaging in 6 months|
|3||Intermediate probability of malignancy; repeat or alternative imaging in 3–6 months|
|4||Probably HCC; multidisciplinary discussion for further work-up|
|5||Definitely HCC; multidisciplinary discussion for management consensus|
|LR-M||Probably/definite malignancy not HCC specific; multidisciplinary discussion, consider biopsy|
|LR-TIV||Definite tumor in vein; multidisciplinary discussion, may include biopsy|
EPM Liver can automate the follow-up for low-risk (LI-RADS 1, 2, 3) patients who only need surveillance, while triaging higher-risk patients (LI-RADS 4, 5, LR-M, LR-TIV) directly for multidisciplinary review in a comprehensive liver program. This frees up valuable FTE time so staff can focus on the patients who need more advanced care.
Incidental Liver Lesion Identification
For the patient population that is not eligible for screening, incidental liver lesions are the best chance for the early detection of cancer. Even though the majority of incidental liver lesions are benign, their importance in the early detection of liver cancer cannot be understated—the 5-year relative survival rate is 45% when liver cancer is detected when confined, but the rate drops to just 18% when the cancer has metastasized.
The EPM Liver CL model can identify any incidental liver abnormality including a mass, nodule, lesion, cyst, enhancing area/region, or hemangioma with a measurement documented on a Computed Tomography (CT), Ultrasound (US), and Magnetic Resonance (MR) report. It has an industry-best identification accuracy rate of 94.2% to maximize the patient capture rate for facilities with a comprehensive liver care program.
The Only Total Solution For All Liver Patients
EPM Liver was designed for a comprehensive liver program:
- Does not disrupt radiology workflow or require change in radiologist interpretation or documentation
- Extracts finding size, number of findings, and location of largest abnormality
- Automates tracking for all patients and all LI-RADS in one dashboard
- Listens for pertinent follow-up exams, including unscheduled and emergency
- Automates FTE workflow with evidence-based follow-up logic
- Standard reports are available for download
Liver Cancer In The U.S.
estimated new cases in 2021
of all new cancer cases each year
Dr. Erika Schneider, Ph.D.
“EPM uses our newest CL model to automatically identify incidental liver lesions. The model has a high overall accuracy at 94%, which will improve as we continue to augment the data sets. The new Liver cohort enhances the Eon oncology portfolio by allowing earlier detection and treatment of primary liver cancers as well as metastases from other malignancies.”
What’s In It For You?
A liver management solution for everyone.
Navigators & Coordinators
- Automate longitudinal care coordination
- Prioritize the higher-risk patient populations
- Receive notifications for patients who need diagnostic workup or who missed their scheduled follow-ups
- Automate and trigger follow-up communication
Providers & Clinicians
- Capture incidental liver lesions
- Screen eligible patients, track through to treatment
- Integrate pathology information
- Ensure adherence and follow-up
- Improve patient outcomes
- No disruption in workflow
- No mandated structured report
- Patient follow-up adherence
- Capture more patients, reduce leakage
- Drive downstream revenue
- Optimize FTEs and focus on patient care
Features and Attributes
CL consists of industry-best data science models that understand text and the linguistic structure of medical English similar to the human brain. The Eon CL Liver model identifies incidental liver findings in radiology reports with 94.2% accuracy. As a part of EPM Liver, CL can:
- Identify a mass, nodule, lesion, cyst, enhancing area/region, or hemangioma with a measurement in a radiology report and documents its maximum diameter. Postoperative seromas and hamartomas are excluded, as are fatty or fibrotic liver disease.
- Allow a few false positive patients who don’t really have liver disease to enter the system (which can be manually discarded from the incoming worklist) while simultaneously limiting the number of false negatives, resulting in fewer missed patients with real liver disease.
EPM’s sophisticated business logic implements the evidence-based guidance needed to manage patient follow-up to increase adherence and maximize the value of your program:
- Enables reminders for exams and procedures so your liver team knows who has been scheduled and who missed their exams
- Prioritize patients who are high-risk (LI-RADS 4, 5, LR-M, LR-TIV) and need immediate care coordination, while automating follow-up for the low-risk (LI-RADS 1, 2, 3) patients
- Use Eon’s proprietary “Follow-Up Listener” to automatically track patients and identify those patients who have had their exams or procedures and who are at risk for no follow-up
Glean real-time insight into your liver program with real-time analytics.
- View key metrics and activity by tracking trends and measuring program growth
- See complex patient management data in a whole new way
- Increases capture, drive downstream revenue, and prove program ROI
Automate, track, and archive communication from one convenient location. Get all documentation done from an easy-to-use dashboard.
- Use proprietary logic to automate patient and provider communication
- Create unlimited custom letters with drag and drop tools
- Track who has been contacted, when they were contacted, and how they contacted
- Consolidate all contact information and always know who and when to contact—with the right information at your fingertips
Best-In-Class Solution and Support
From security, to implementation, to client support—Eon’s got you covered with:
- HIPAA, HITECH Act, and SOC 2 Type II compliance
- A cloud-based, AWS-hosted solution that requires no new hardware or on-premise maintenance
- No workstation software loads
- VPN connectivity to a HL7 feed from the EHR to AWS, can also include bi-directional HL7 integration (EPM to EHR) for integration of patient and provider letters in the EHR
- Software updates and upgrades seamlessly rolled out free of charge
- Multi-site deployment for hospital systems and IDNs with multiple facilities
- Unlimited user access to the application with no additional cost
- Quick implementation with ongoing client support
- Less than 1-minute customer support response time
The Eon Edge
Learn more about how Eon revolutionized management of incidental findings and developed the most superior AI-based data science model on the market today.